Thursday, January 12, 2006

Win XP SP2 no good for Multiproc PCs

I've playing with my new pc for a couple of weeks now, however the performance of it is not what I expected.
So I opened my Firefox (no comments) and started navigating several AMD forums. I changed some setting, but one post was mentioned something completely new and unexpected:

Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are equipped with multiple processors that support processor power management features may experience decreased performance

Apparently Windows XP Professional SP2 has issues with multiproc (Hyperthreading seems to be not affected). The KB article mention a hotfix and a registry change. But Microsoft only gives this hotfix after you ring up your "LOCAL" MS Customer Support Centre (local this days means India,China, etc :-) )
I wasn't ready to spend time on the phone to get the file, so then I found the solution http://www.thehotfix.net/
This site contains majority of the hotfix from MS which are not available for Download on Microsoft website. NICE!!!!

Installed, Reg Modified, PC restarted..... BANG!!! Performance improved!!!!!!!

Try it, you will see the difference

No comments: