Friday, December 30, 2005

Hardware Upgrade and BF2

Last week a serious heat problem, apparently, killed my P4 motherboard. Several attempts were made to resurect it, but.... it was long gone.
So I bought new parts to get my pc up and running soon, however I went that extra mile:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
GA-K8N-SLI
XFX GeForce 7800 GTX
ThermalTake Xaser 8000+ WinGo Ed
(Running Windows x32)

I installed FEAR again to test the new videocard and cpu ........I'm still shocked! Everything is set to MAX or Ultra, however the PC seems to be doing a very easy job.... no lag no nothing!!!!! Just AMAIZING :-)

In the other hand, we have our friend Battlefield 2. This SOB doesnt work on X2 CPUs, you have to create affinity with one processor only. Otherwise you will experience lag or crashes during the game. (more info visit this thread in EA Forums)

My new settings are:

1280x1024 @72 MHz
All Settings = Ultra (Setting only available when you change manually the Video.con file)
AA 2x
AF 16X (Controlled by Nvidia Driver)

The only problem that I got is a 30 sec lag at the begging of MAP (first matach only) and loading the map takes forever.
My PC has 1Gb DDR 400 RAM, but when you check the memory in use during a game it is ~1.250GB (papaun!)
This is known issue and to run the game in max resolution 2GB is required. (next buy... RAM)

During my invetigation I found a website called
TweakGuides.com
This site contains tweak hints for any game and also for video drivers as well. I was interested on these 2 very cool guides: Battlefield 2 and Nvidia
Forceware tweaks . For example one of the cool tips was how to avoid the videos when you launch the game. (BTW thos EA, DICE and Intro Videos are ~250MB in total, this means all in memory before connecting to a server.)

Hope that next BF2 patch will contain some improvements for AMD X2 CPUs and take advantage of new technologies!



No comments: